The thought of beginning an evangelical witness in Knighton was first in the minds of two schoolboys. In 1953 they sought the guidance of a local minister, who, with the support of his church, took a prayerful and practical interest in bringing into being an independent evangelical free church in the area.
At first, evening services only were held in Overdale Infants School hall. In 1958 a contract was signed for the purchase of a church site in Brinsmead Road which was completed in six months.
In 1959, Melbourne Hall Evangelical Free Church called an associate pastor who took sole responsibility for Knighton. As God prospered the work, the first phase of the building programme, the church hall, was commenced; but by the time it was opened in September 1963, it was only adequate for midweek meetings. Plans for a church building were then drawn up to provide seating accommodation for approximately 400 people.
Under God’s guidance the work has continued to grow, and in 1993 a church was planted in Wigston – the Meadows Community Church. In 2006 another church was started in Clarendon Park – the Avenue Community Church.